Sunday, March 18, 2012

St Benedict Novena Day 7 (March 18): Emerging communities in France and Italy



Today in this novena series for the revival of traditional Benedictine religious life, I wanted to highlight two emerging communities of men.

Monastère Saint-Benoît, La Garde-Freinet

The first is the very new indeed Monastery of St Benedict in the tradition friendly diocese of Frejus-Toulon.  It was founded just last December. 

The community, like their website, is bilingual, and the Prior is actually English (you can read an interview with him on the New Liturgical Movement blog), and its monks include Dom Alcuin Reid who did most of the editing of the Farnborough Monastic Diurnal while he was there. 

The website includes a new page which has some nice pictures, and seems to be being updated regularly, As a new community it is particularly in need of material support!

Benedictines of the Immaculate, Italy
The second group is the Benedictines of the Immaculate, a breakaway group from the Monastery of Le Barroux (which I'll talk about tomorrow), seeking a stricter observance. 

Sadly, despite Summorum Pontificum and subsequent legislation, it sometimes seems that the battles of the last forty or so years have to be fought over and over again though.  Certainly that seems to be the challenge facing the Eponymous Flower blog records details of a "discussion" going on with the diocesan bishop over attempts to impose the novus ordo and concelebration on members of the community.

Novena Prayer

Do keep both of these communities, and other emerging groups, in your prayers.

O glorious St. Benedict, sublime model of all virtues, pure vessel of God's grace! Behold me, humbly kneeling at thy feet. I implore thy loving heart to pray for me before the throne of God. To thee I have recourse in all the dangers which daily surround me. Shield me against my enemies, inspire me to imitate thee in all things. May thy blessing be with me always, so that I may shun whatever God forbids and avoid the occasions of sin.

Graciously obtain for me from God those favors and graces of which I stand so much in need, in the trials, miseries and afflictions of life. Thy heart was always so full of love, compassion, and mercy toward those who were afflicted or troubled in any way. Thou didst never dismiss without consolation and assistance anyone who had recourse to thee. I therefore invoke thy powerful intercession, in the confident hope that thou wilt hear my prayers and obtain for me the special grace and favor I so earnestly implore (mention your intentions here), if it be for the greater glory of God and the welfare of my soul.

Help me, O great St. Benedict, to live and die as a faithful child of God, to be ever submissive to His holy will, and to attain the eternal happiness of heaven. Amen.

[For the special intention (Magnificat antiphon of the feast): O pattern of heavenly life, our guide and teacher Benedict, whose soul is now rejoicing with Christ in heaven: protect thy flock, dear shepherd, and by thy holy prayer support them; and with thyself as leader showing that brightened way, make them enter the heavens.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if the Monastère Saint-Benoît, La Garde-Freinet has a priest resident - its website says there will be no Mass until the end of June ....