Tuesday, March 20, 2012

St Benedict Novena Day 9 (March 20): The Tyburns and Australia


And on this final day of the novena of St Benedict, can I beg your prayers for Australia?

While Australia does have a number of Benedictine monasteries, Australia has no Benedictine monasteries using either the traditional Mass or Office.

The Tyburn nuns

The country has one conservative monastery of Benedictines, in the form of the Tyburn Nuns, aka the Benedictine Adorers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus of Montmartre. 

This is a rapidly growing Congregation dedicated to Eucharistic Adoration, with monasteries in a number of countries, including a number of new foundations.  The Congregation does not practice stability, but moves sisters around the Order's monasteries as needed.

Benedictine Monasticism in Australia

But most monasteries in Australia are struggling, with relatively few vocations, and an ageing demographic.

The Monastery of New Norcia in Western Australia, which played a key role in Australia's catholic history, struggles on having literally turned itself into a living museum. 

There is also the Monastery of Arcadia in New South Wales.

And for women, the Monastery of Jamberoo in New South Wales, gained some fame a few years back through a reality tv show called 'The Abbey'. 

Please do keep Australia's monasteries, and Australians in Benedictine monasteries around the world, especially in your prayers for the recovery of traditional religious life!

And please pray for the restoration of traditional Benedictine religious life around the world...

Novena Prayer

O glorious St. Benedict, sublime model of all virtues, pure vessel of God's grace! Behold me, humbly kneeling at thy feet. I implore thy loving heart to pray for me before the throne of God. To thee I have recourse in all the dangers which daily surround me. Shield me against my enemies, inspire me to imitate thee in all things. May thy blessing be with me always, so that I may shun whatever God forbids and avoid the occasions of sin.

Graciously obtain for me from God those favors and graces of which I stand so much in need, in the trials, miseries and afflictions of life. Thy heart was always so full of love, compassion, and mercy toward those who were afflicted or troubled in any way. Thou didst never dismiss without consolation and assistance anyone who had recourse to thee. I therefore invoke thy powerful intercession, in the confident hope that thou wilt hear my prayers and obtain for me the special grace and favor I so earnestly implore (mention your intentions here), if it be for the greater glory of God and the welfare of my soul.

Help me, O great St. Benedict, to live and die as a faithful child of God, to be ever submissive to His holy will, and to attain the eternal happiness of heaven. Amen.

[For the special intention (Magnificat antiphon of the feast): O pattern of heavenly life, our guide and teacher Benedict, whose soul is now rejoicing with Christ in heaven: protect thy flock, dear shepherd, and by thy holy prayer support them; and with thyself as leader showing that brightened way, make them enter the heavens.]

No comments: